Engineering and Inspection Service
If you are responsible for the maintenance, repair and insurance of a residential or commercial property, and that property contains a lift, boiler or pressure plant, then you will need to consider engineering and inspection services…
Usually, within blocks of flats, various types of machinery are shared by the residents. In many residential properties, it is often the responsibility of the various flat owners or the residents management company, to ensure that the machines are maintained to a safe standard and regularly checked.
Facilities like lifts and boilers can result in substantial bills when something goes wrong and repairs need to be undertaken. Here at Adler Fairways, we can provide engineering and inspection services for blocks of flats that includes financial and liability protection.
Engineering and inspection services are provided by insurance companies through suitably qualified engineering surveyors, for a fee, and they are usually provided in conjunction with the main property insurance cover.
Independent engineering inspections can help you to identify problems early; this means you can then organise and plan for repairs before a major failure occurs.
Some inspections are a legal and statutory requirement. Passenger lifts, for example, have to be inspected twice a year to ensure they comply with health and safety legislation. Insurance against breakdown can also be added to a policy; so there may be no need to raise additional funds from tenants if the unexpected happens.
It is a legal requirement for many types of plant and machinery to be inspected on a regular basis. Unfortunately, some people believe engineering inspections are only desirable rather than essential.
The items listed below must be inspected, either as a legal requirement or to comply with other statutes and to meet the requirements of your insurance policy.
LOLER – Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998
- Passenger lifts – Every 6 months
- Goods lifts – Annually
- Lifting accessories (tackle) – Every 6 months
- Vehicle lifts – Every 6 months
- Window cleaning gantry – Annually
PSSR – Pressure Systems Safety Regulations 2000
- Steam boilers and steam ovens – Every 14 months
- Any equipment operated by steam – Every 26 months
- Hot water boilers (>100°C) – Every 14 months
- Other pressure systems – Every 26 months
Electricity at Work Regulations 1989
- Electrical installations & equipment – Every 5 years
- Electric gates and barriers – Every 12 months
If you are unsure about any of our policies or would like more information about engineering and inspection cover, please get in touch with one of our experienced advisers. We consider the specific needs of your business and can provide an insurance policy that is tailor-made to your company.
For further information regarding our engineering insurance, please contact us and speak to one of our expert insurance brokers.
Main policy features *
The engineering and inspection service typically covers:
- Lifting equipment, such as cranes, lifts, excavators, and lift trucks
- Pressure systems, including boilers, air receivers, air conditioning units and refrigeration units
- Electrical equipment, from fixed wiring inspections to hazardous areas and even kettles
- Local Exhaust Ventilation, including spray booths, fume cupboards and extractor fans
- Power presses, press brakes and guillotines
- Other work equipment, like conveyor systems, tractors and bulldozers.
As part of the service, an independent, qualified engineering surveyor will visit the block of flats and provide advice on maintenance. Engineers can also provide operational instructions to ensure that machines are correctly used.
The service might also cover accidental damage, breakdown, explosion or collapse, damage to the property caused directly by the lift or boiler, temporary removal costs, debris removal costs, additional costs for temporary repairs, and hired-in plant costs.
* This information is a general guide only. Adler Fairways will assess your requirements and recommend a bespoke range of insurance solutions to meet your needs. As part of the quotation process, we will provide full details of the specific coverage, benefits, limits, premiums, exclusions, excesses payable, and any other policy conditions that would apply to the insurance we recommend for you. We currently only offer cover to businesses registered in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.